Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lessons Still Learning: Coffee Shop Knowledge Part II




In my last post, I gave you a broad overview of the things I have learned while working in customer service. In this post, I would like to be a little more specific. I want to talk about two different categories: The Better Server and The Better Customer.

The Better Server
The past two summers I have collected mental notes about how to deal with customers. Much of this was trial and error, if I’m honest. But these are just a few of my tried and true methods of loving customers better:

Remember Names
This is the simplest of the techniques. The coffee shop I work in is located inside of a metroplex that holds different businesses. This is where we get most of our customers. Because most of our customers work in our building, almost all of them come in multiple times a week if not every day. I learned some of their names right off the bat and they just stuck with me for some reason. Some of them took me a little longer to remember. And, sadly, there are still a few that I don’t know or remember. But I try my hardest to remember the names of the ones who come in the most.

The reactions I get when I call someone by name are awesome. Some are weirded out because they’re not sure how I know their name. Others are surprised that I have such a good memory (which I don’t). And even some have tipped me just for remembering their name. They were that impressed.  It makes them feel good though. I can tell. They feel like they’re getting special treatment, and most of them are. It’s a simple gesture, but it really does make all the difference for people.

Smile
I know it sounds stupid, but the happier you are, the nicer the customers are going to be to you. When they see that you are smiling and making jokes, they’re more apt to do the same instead of yell at you for getting their order wrong.

And let’s just be honest, when someone smiles at you, it’s really hard not to smile back.

Make Conversation
Get to know the people that you’re serving. Find out where they work, what they enjoy doing, how they’re feeling that day. If there’s one major thing I’ve learned while working at a coffee shop it’s that baristas are underpaid therapists. For some reason everyone feels like they can vent to me. It’s a very strange phenomenon, really. But you know, maybe I am the only one they feel like they can vent to. If that’s so, then I’m okay with it.

There is a fine line between making conversation and being obnoxious. You have to tread that line very carefully. Don’t pry. Don’t talk too much. In fact, let them do most of the talking. Be a good listener. People appreciate it, even if they don’t say so.

Compliments
If you notice something new, appealing, or attractive about a customer, tell them! Compliment their new haircut or their shirt that you like. Don’t be awkward about it. Just be genuine.

Lately, I’ve been trying to make an honest effort to give more compliments. I think way too much about myself and not enough about others. So, I’ve been trying to be more attentive to people. I don’t just give out compliments if I don’t mean them. I want them to be genuine. (I hate when people give compliments just because they feel awkward or because they feel like they have to or if there’s a lull in the conversation. And you can totally tell when people do this.) Just be genuine. That’s all I can say.


The Better Customer
I’ve also learned a lot about how to be a better customer. Here are some things I’ve learned and try to do more actively in my daily life as a customer:

Tip Well
This is something I have never been good about until now. It’s really hard to shell out extra cash for what feels like nothing. But, let me tell you, it’s not nothing.

Tipping is really important. Especially if someone does a really good job. Let them know. If you can write something on the receipt, do that too! It really changes someone’s whole day to be told they’re great.

If everyone just tipped a dollar everywhere they went, can you imagine what a difference that would make?

Be Understanding
Baristas, waiters, cashiers, cooks, employees everywhere are just people. They make mistakes. Lots of them. Just like you do. If the person that helps you makes a mistake, just let them know nicely and be patient. It’s a lot harder said than done, but it’s really not helpful to give people an attitude. If it takes a little longer to get your order, there are other people waiting on orders too. If they forgot the cheese on your cheeseburger, they’ve probably got more important things on their mind. In the end, it’s going to be okay, so just chill.

Constructive Criticism
On a very similar note, when someone does make a mistake, you should let them know. It’s not helpful to let things go. But it’s also not helpful to tell someone that they made a mistake in a rude tone. Just be nice. They’ll fix it. They’ll work harder to not let that happen again. And you’ll be happier for saying something. Customer feedback is very important to businesses. Both the bad and the good kind. So give both.

Also, you can incorporate tips from The Better Server too! Like remembering your server’s name, smiling, and making conversation. All of those things are important too.


All of these thing have helped me while working and being a customer, but they are also helpful tips for dealing with people in general. If everyone used these simple tips in their daily life, man, there would be a lot of change a’happenin’.

Show some love.

Avery 

No comments:

Post a Comment